Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th Anniversary - Still Covered in Rain

It's hard to believe but it's been 11 years since the events of 9/11.  I never visited New York when the Towers were standing.  I remember driving into Manhattan for the first time in 2007 with a friend from law school who grew up in Manhattan.  He told me how nicely the Towers used to center the city and how odd the city looked to him that they were no longer there.

One of my favorite songs is John's Mayer's "Covered in Rain" which provides a gloomy view of Manhattan in the aftermath of the tragedy.  It's somewhat of an obscure song but lyrically an introspective, beautiful look at such a difficult subject.  I met Mayer briefly at a party at the Bowery Hotel about this time 2 years ago.  John Mayer's apartment is several blocks away from the Bowery Hotel in a former bank building in Soho that has now been converted into an upscale loft.  No doubt many New Yorkers are still covered in rain from the tragic events, and I pray for all those still affected.  

Mayer's Soho Apartment (Spring and Lafayette)
       

No comments:

Post a Comment